My Journey Through The Mother Land

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sanitary Insanity: The Evolution of Parental Precautions

It occurred to me the other day that I have become a little lax in my "sanitary insanity". Yes, as most first time parents I was found disinfecting my baby room, washing the linens and alphabetizing the over the counter medication a sick infant might need before the little tyke was born:) but lately I can't find that lady anywhere!?!

I am pretty sure I was extreme in my sanitation and preparation (as I am in most things), so I am a little appalled at myself when I catch myself blankly staring at my daughter as she nibbles on my sons SHOE!

Rewind two and a half years ago and you would have found a much different situation. I recall changing my sons diaper after it was mildly wet...and now? I am patting my poor daughters soggy diaper to gauge how much longer I can wait before she needs to be changed? Have I grossed you out yet? If I have I am guessing you are a parent of one...I'm hoping that those of you with more than one child are nodding your heads and smiling.

So what happens in between child one and child two? I have been perplexed by this.

Is it the realization that my son didn't die when he sucked on a shopping cart handle bar (I'm cringing as we speak) or was it that blaming some unknown child 8 pews back in church for coughing and sneezing during church meeting didn't mean my son recovered from his cold any faster? I really don't know.

What I do know is that I like the calm expression on my face when something happens that would have sent my arms flailing and my eyes bulging. Does one become more lax with the number of children they have? If I were to have 1,2, maybe even 3 more would I become a champion mom on a fear factor show?

Regardless, I am enjoying that I am a little more laid back about the germs. Its increased my life span about two years, which I could quite possibly lose again once my children are teenagers.

Until then, I'd love to hear from you. How have your parental precautions evolved? Examples are great....like: I used to_____ but now I ______.

Let out your hair & let the confessions roll ladies!

5 comments:

  1. I used to vacuum my house religiously so that I could rest easy that Erica wasn't eating "who knows what" off the floor. Now, my house is filled with hidden troves of treats for Aaron to discover...and I don't necessarily stop him either--even if I don't know how long its been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, to add to the first comment made, my brother and his wife call random food found on the floor "floor jerky" and view it as an additional food group in the pyramid!

    I was a compulsive nose wiper. I didn't want my kid to be "that kid" that always had a snotty nose. I always had tissues. Now I find with my second I am not quite the crazy and I didn't even realize until my younger sister in law (still in high school) was completely grossed out when I wiped Kenzie's nose with my fingers because I didn't have a tissue. Eh, you just get the job done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when are you due? I didn't know you were expecting. Number three then right? We're expecting our third in April. I remember getting to the end and going crazy waiting, I was in labor for 3 weeks with nothing happening. She came two days late! Good luck with the new little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it ladies! Troves of treats and floor jerky! Confgrats on your new bundle coming in April! That's amazing!

    I am not expecting, merely thinking out loud on what my state of tolderance would be if I had more children.

    I love children though and would LOVE to KNOW if we were supposed to have anymore. Although I secretly think I know the answer..

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh geez!!!! I used to have a clean house, now it's a junk yard. I used to vacuum, disinfect, dust, things like that everyday!! Now that I have 2 and one on the way I'm lucky if I vacuum twice a week. Who knows what Olivia has eaten off the floor.

    ReplyDelete