My Journey Through The Mother Land

Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Only "Now" I Know

I knew I always wanted to be a mother and a wife. Playing house as a child was one of my favorite things to do. I always imagined I would have a career while I had children--and so I planned out my life.

The end of March brought about a change.During my pregnancy, I was anxious yet nervous at all of the possibilities motherhood could bring. I felt blessed to be able to co-create a child with my wonderful husband. I enjoyed watching his stages of realization that he would be a father.

Labor was great--taking birthing classes and watching videos of birth was more painful for me than actual labor.In the instant that a child is born, the feeling cannot be explained. Emotionally I was at peace, overjoyed, and blessed. This beautiful child was entrusted to me. My son born in @ 1:43am 7lbs 15 oz 21inches long.

He was everything I always wanted. I wanted to hold him forever. I never knew I could love my husband more, until I saw him love our son.Over the next few days and weeks I had a stronger desire than before to create a disneyland-like atmosphere for my family. I began to realize (as most already do) that this is my families time. The only "now" they will ever have.I felt a great deal of responsibility and excitement for what that could entail. I wanted "their happiest place on earth" to be filled with love and laughter, meditation, full tummies, learning, growth, safety, understanding, and acceptance.

Call me old fashioned, but this is my career. In my opinion this isn't a nine-to-five job. Twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, three hundred and sixty five days a year. No Sick days & No paid time off. The world cannot place a dollar amount on the worth of a mother/wife. Paid in hugs, laughter, and kisses, it doesn't get any better than this!

Tell me truly, what is more imporant?

It has been said that at the end of one's life upon reflection a person will not wish that they made more money or had a bigger house or better car, but that they spent more time with the ones that they love.

That time is now. This is the only "now" I know.My career comes with many benefits. Benefits that will outlast my lifetime. And I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. Janne,
    You have EVERYTHING! You have love and one thing you will never have to regret when you die is that you were loved to the fullest extent by your husband. I know your children will feel the same way about you.

    You are truly one of the most, if not the most, geniunely loving women I know.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete