My Journey Through The Mother Land

Monday, November 2, 2009

HIVE!

Driving home one afternoon, I turn onto my street and notice what looks like an odd colored ball stuck in a tree on my property. Hesitant (because I have never seen a ball decorated quite like it). I pull up and examine it.



Answer: GINORMOUS wasp nest.
Solution: Kill, Kill, Kill it...but not me of course...assign the husband.

My darling friend Liz suggested I save it and send it with my son for show and tell. That idea took a while to sink in, but after a LOT of contemplation and failed attempts to contact professionals to take it down for free, we decided it would be pretty cool to send a carcased hive to show & tell!

And that's just what we did. we got online and researched the bald wasps that took up real estate in our tree and yours truly carefully sawed the little sucker out of the tree attempting to preserve it and the branch it was connected to.

Eventually we packaged the cozy little nook up and sealed it, with printed info... and dead wasps and sent the happy little preschooler to school!

No comments:

Post a Comment